Re: 2-node RAC faster than 6-node!

  • From: Dan Norris <dannorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: yong321@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2008 13:45:13 -0500

Yong,

I suppose that there may be some difference between 4 and 6 nodes with respect to the occurrence of 2 vs 3-way block negotiations. However, I don't think that will be a noticeable. I think the only time you'd have enough impact to really measure the difference would be between 2 and 3 nodes and that's supported by the study I mentioned (that I still can't seem to locate).

Dan

Yong Huang wrote:
Dan's theory says in case of 6 nodes,
there's relatively more 3-way traffic, which could slow down the overall
performance. Correct, Dan?
From: Dan Norris <dannorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

... In any case where a
block is cached in another instance, there are three parties involved: the
requestor, the holder, and the global resource master for the requested
block. In a two-node cluster, two of these three parties are the same
instance and therefore the messaging between them is very fast. When a third
node is added, there's a statistical probability that these three parties
will involve all three instances for a significant portion of the
occurrencesof this situation. In the case where three instances are
involved,the communications take longer since all messaging has to cross the
interconnect.