RE: 2-node RAC faster than 6-node!

  • From: "Bobak, Mark" <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ebadi01@xxxxxxxxx" <ebadi01@xxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 18:21:32 -0400

Hi Abdul,

It's tough to say, without really knowing what's going on.  I will say this,
though:
Rule #1 about adding hardware when faced w/ a performance problem is that if
you add capacity to a non-bottleneck resource, there's a good chance you'll
make the performance worse!

So, consider what your bottleneck really was, and whether you didn't make the
bottleneck worse.  For example, what are you using for your interconnect?  What
if that was already saturated, and adding extra nodes just put more load on the
interconnect, further saturating it?

Total speculation, without knowing more about your system, I can't say....but
it's just one hypothesis.

-Mark

--
Mark J. Bobak
Senior Database Administrator, System & Product Technologies

ProQuest...Start here.