Re: 12c pluggable database shared SGA question

  • From: "Kevin Closson" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "ora_kclosson@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: Jeremy Schneider <jeremy.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "fuzzy.graybeard@xxxxxxxxx" <fuzzy.graybeard@xxxxxxxxx>, Freek D'Hooge <freek.dhooge@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 09:08:51 -0700

Actually, I don't know enough about it to be skeptical and thus my quest for
AWRs. I'm on back-channel with Hans on the same topic.

I am, however, skeptical that there is any problem getting enough DRAM bolted
to modern CPUs given the fact that there are no frontside bus systems left to
buy. Sure, dense DRAM is more expensive but the question is whether the expense
of going from, say, 512GB to 768GB on the same 2S box is more expensive than
$17.5K/core + 22% (in perpetuity)?

Finally, I'm always skeptical of solutions to problems that no longer
exist--such as main memory capacities. Everything we know in IT has a shelf
life.

 From: Jeremy Schneider <jeremy.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>