RE: 11gR2 RAC Network Failure - Timeout

  • From: D'Hooge Freek <Freek.DHooge@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "phil@xxxxxxxxxx" <phil@xxxxxxxxxx>, "puravc@xxxxxxxxx" <puravc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2012 19:28:32 +0100

Hi,

I think that sets only the interconnect timeout, not the vip timeout.
On linux the vip connectivity is checked by using ethtool (or mii-tool on older
linux versions) to verify the status of the network port. If ethtool reports
that the link is down a ping is done to the public gateway. If the ping test
fails two times, the failover is initiated.
Looking at the script, I think the timeout of the ping is set to 1 second  (-w
1 -c 1).

The script responsible for the vip test is $ORACLE_HOME/bin/racgvip (where
$ORACLE_HOME is the GI home, not the db home).
On linux this is just a shell script, so you can modify it to change the number
of retries.
But I can't directly find where the sleep time between two vip checks is
defined.

Regards,

Freek D'Hooge
Uptime