[optimal] Re: anterior heidelberg, viewing thru hazy cornea

  • From: Sandor Ferenczy <sandorferenczy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 11:51:30 -0400

this is part of the reason we still use the Visante AS-OCT over the
adapted posterior seg OCTs (we have lenses for the Spectralis and the
RTVue and the iVue)

The longer wavelength and higher power output of the Visante (not to
mention the limbus-to-limbus imaging) make it a far more capable
imager than the others. Though, as always, with drawbacks. The Visante
may be able to fully image the IPE cyst that the Spectralis cannot
even "see" but the details in the conjunctival squamous cell ca on the
Spectralis make the Visante images look like pastel drawings.

Proper tools for the job, etc.

And John, in terms of using the anterior segment lenses, it is pretty
easy.  I would spend 10 minutes testing it on a co-worker (or on
yourself - it is possible) and just get comfortable. Especially when
you are dealing with a poor view, think outside the box, and just try
different imaging angles and settings until you get the best looking
image on screen. "Normal" doesnt always work when you are
photographing "abnormal".

-sandor