[optimal] Re: Monitor calibration

  • From: Sandor Ferenczy <sandorferenczy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2013 07:45:04 -0400

When i first started, i called OIS and got an "OK" from them very easily
when i broached it from a service-request point of view. It was perhaps
even easier because we had multiple OIS-backed fundus cameras, and the same
fundus looked quite different on each camera.

Then i just went ahead and installed it everywhere else - the software has
a small footprint, and it creates a conventional ICC profile to replace the
default Windows/Macintosh profile. I figured if a problem arose, i would
uninstall the software first to see if it fixed the problem, then call the
vendor.  I had far more problems when a vendor shipped a CPU to us with
Windows auto update on, and the second day we had it the camera was
non-working - turns out Windows auto installed an XP service pack and broke
the system.

I couldn't get it to work properly on the RetCam :)

But, in workflow terms, color balancing the review computers/emr
workstations was the biggest concern - color images would look different on
all the doctors monitors, all the clinic monitors, etc. We wanted to match
all of these monitors so that our PACS system (Axis) looks identical for
review. In light of that, our IT made it easy and put the Data Color
software into their package thingy that rolled out to all the workstations.
An hour or two walking through the hospital with the USB color sensor and
we had the calibration done.

Theoretically, if you are not doing image review on the capture stations &
the vendors are giving you grief about trying to provide doctors with
matching color, you could simply color correct the review workstations and
leave it at that.

i could go on, but ill try to stop here...

sandor