[optimal] From Denice re Spectralis Segmentation

  • From: "Egnatz, Thomas James" <tegnatz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 10:00:00 -0400

Denice,

I think this falls within the sampling range.  The cut-off has to be a
single number: 58 microns is red and 59 is yellow.  Note the other
values obtained on the two scans:

Sector NS:   58    59
      N :   86    85
      NI:   88    79
      TI:  120   119
      T :   56    57
      TS:  107   115

Think of a fasting glucose test:

Glucose level 125      Patient: "I have impaired glucose tolerance."

Next test:

Glucose level 126      Patient: "Oh my God, I have diabetes!"

Take the numbers and colors with a grain of salt:  you can be a little
or a lot into the red zone.

Tom

Quoting CPMC Ophthalmic Diagnostic Center <cpmceyelab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Somewhat alarmed to see today that two separate RNFL scans, seemingly
reasonable well centered, can show such different results based on
where the instrument choses to segment.

A very slight, nearly inperceptable adjustment on my part took this
patient out of the red zone and back into borderline.

Your thoughts?  ART set at 16.  Too much?  Too little?

Denice Barsness, CRA, COMT, ROUB, CDOS, FOPS
Ophthalmic Diagnostic Center
CPMC Department of Ophthalmology
2100 Webster Street Suite 212
San Francisco CA 94115