[optimal] Re: Do you want to help people tranistion into ophthalmic imaging?

  • From: Robert Shutt <shutteye@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 13:13:58 -0400 (EDT)

I too have had similar encounters with all sorts of photographers - amateur to pro - and invariably they all ask how did you get into the field? What kind of specialized education is needed? How much training is provided? etc... So, to offer an intern program would certainly be advantageous for growth. Maybe the OPS website or the PDC could establish a link that enable interested ones to fill out an online 'interest form' providing a little bio of themselves and then wait to be contacted by an OPS member that could mentor them. I for one would volunteer in the Nutmeg state; Connecticut.

Robert G. Shutt, CRA, OCT-C
354 Clear View Ave
Torrington CT 06790

Hey Sarah---count me in! Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®
From: Sarah Moyer <smoyer@xxxxxxxxx>
Sender: optimal-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 10:45:28 -0400
To: <optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
ReplyTo: optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [optimal] Do you want to help people tranistion into ophthalmic imaging?

I have noticed an increase in the number of people contacting me about an interest in our field of ophthalmic imaging.  They have been professional photographers, museum archivists with an interest in photography and from other random fields.  All of them seem to know someone who knows that this field exists and suggested they find out more.  I always introduce them to the OPS, JMC, RIT, etc.  They all say the same thing "there's not much out there about this."

With the launch of the new OPS website, we will also be starting a blog.  I plan to write a blog entry that we can point these transition people towards.  I would like to include contact information of people across the country for this blog entry so that these people can contact someone receptive to helping them.  If you are interested in helping people transition to this field, please let me know.

I think it makes most sense to list how you are willing to help:

Mentor:
Discuss the field of ophthalmic imaging with those interested in transitioning into the field.

Shadow Day:
Offer to have those interested in transitioning into the field visit your office for 2-4 hours to see what it's like.

Internship:
Offer to teach those interested in transitioning into the field how to perform OCT, fundus photography and fluorescein angiograms.  Lengths of internships may vary, but a minimum of 4 weeks is recommended.   If you need help organizing an internship, myself or others can help you.

Thanks in advance for your help with this.

Sarah