[optimal] Allergies and Sensitivities

  • From: CPMC Ophthalmic Diagnostic Center <cpmceyelab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2013 10:50:57 -0700

My fellow collegues

Let us use caution with our terminology.

A case of anaphylactic shock, or even a simple case or urticaria (hives)
attributed to a perfumed substance IN THE AIR has not been documented in the
literature.
The term "allergy" is casually used in our descriptive world.

Now, do not confuse this assertion with perfumes in general. Contact dermatitis
could definitely produce a severe reaction in a sensitized individual if they
placed the substance on their skin.

People get easily confused between a sensitive nose and an allergic
sensitivity. Pollen in the air is also a CONTACT allergy with a substance in
the air.

Least we confuse our terminology.  True allergies are actual histamine
reactions involving mast cells.

Denice Barsness, CRA, COMT, ROUB, CDOS, FOPS
Ophthalmic Diagnostic Center
CPMC Department of Ophthalmology
2100 Webster Street Suite 212
San Francisco CA 94115