[optimal] Re: Allergies and Sensitivities

  • From: Paula Morris <paula.morris@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2013 18:31:30 +0000

So, truly interested in the answer: how do you protect yourself from airborne
allergies if you are that sensitive?  I am allergic to aromatic benzene as
found in chemistry labs, but I don't run into that problem out in the
community, and worked only with a negative pressure fume hood in college.

Do you have a "no fragrances" sign in your work space?  Is there a mask that is
effective against fragrance allergies? Do you have easy access to an EPI pen?
We had a co-worker that worked in the administrative offices of our facility
and she was fragrance sensitive.  Her co-workers agreed to have a fragrance
free area around her work space, and new hires were informed about that space,
but she still had to be out in public to carry out routine tasks for everyday
life.... I am not aware that she ever had an allergic reaction that required
emergent medical attention.

Fragrances are added to so many things - even breath mints - they are a part of
global culture. I'm wondering how people are able to cope in public spaces?

Just wondering,