[optacon-l] Re: Reading lcd displays

  • From: "cpond" <cpond@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 10:55:29 -0500

I have read baclit and non-backlit.  Backlit LCD screens feel Much brighter
than the non-backlit and the threshold of the optacon must be turned down.
For the non-backlit LCDs, or if the light (actually it is a tube) is turned
off, the screen "feels" dimmer.  Both are complletely doable.  I regularly
read my 18.4-inch laptop screen with an optacon and there isn't a need for a
computer lens.  An antiglare or glossy coating on the screen makes a
difference also.  Personally, I find the antiglare screens easier to read,
but with an adjustment the glossy screens are just fine, too.  Mine is a
glossy screen.  I think they're becoming the standard now.  Antiglare are
best for reading laptops in sunlight, whilst glossy is best for in-door
lighting.  Some of the military laptops therefore use the traditional
antiglare screens.

You might consider getting a newer LED (Light Emitting Diode) display
monitor now that they are coming down in price.  They are slim (which is the
opposite to what a girl should be),.  Their quality is as sharp as crystal.

Charles