[optacon-l] Optacon and scanner work well together

  • From: Robert Feinstein <harlynn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Optacon <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2011 01:57:01 -0500 (EST)

I don't often post, but wanted to tell all of you about a reading machine
I purchased and how I have been using it in conjunction with the optacon.
I bought the Sara from Freedom Scientific.  I bought the one with the
flatbed scanner.  It reads quite well.  When I get mail, I use the optacon
to see who the mail is from.  I then open the mail, to look at the format
of the mail.  If, for example, the page is too big to fit on the scanner,
I find the part with the body of the email, minus the instructions for
making a donation.  I fold the letter and read it on the scanner.

I also use the optacon if the scanner misses a word, as I can find the
word quickly from having heard the piece of mail.  I love using both
devices.

Because of my use of the optacon, my reading has started to improve again,
and my speed is getting better.  I never dreamed that the scanner and the
optacon would make such a wonderful marriage.  I also get to see the
different print styles, how very dark print is mixed in with normal print,
or how words are underlined, or how some parts are written in italics.  My
reading of italics is still very poor, and the scanner does much better
than I do.

I think the optacon is truly an incredible piece of equipment, and I am
truly grateful I learned to use it, and am honing my skills again.

The scanner reads quickly, and when the print is good, does a wonderful
job.  Using it in conjunction with the optacon, in my opinion, is the way
to go!  It is a pleasure going through all my mail, even if my method is a
bit time consuming.  But, smile, I don't have the busiest life, so that is
no problem.

Robert Feinstein in Brooklyn, NY