[opendtv] Re: iPad remote for Comcast

  • From: John McClenny <jamcclenny@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 10:58:23 -0500

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 3:51 PM, Manfredi, Albert E <
albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Craig Birkmaier posted:
>
> > An interesting demo of an iPad app to control Comcast cable boxes...
> >

> http://www.tvweek.com/blogs/tvbizwire/2010/05/videos-brian-roberts-demos-com.php
>

> This is one of those philosophically baffling applications. An application
> that ought to be included somewhere else, not in a hyper-expensive "remote
> control" that amounts to a TV set in its own right.
>
> The Internet TVs coming on line these days should, by all rights,
> incorporate everyhting the iPad does in this TV remote role. And instead of
> having to touch the screen with your own fingers, you just click a remote to
> push the "buttons" on the TV screen.
>
> Perhaps an IR-connected keyboard would also be available.
>
> Bert

Bert,

I think you will be seeing this from all the MSO/Telco/DBS providers.  It
provides a keyboard and better search platform without trying to shoehorn
additional funtionality and cost into the STB.  The traditional program
guide is failing as the number of channels increases and the remote control
sucks in entering search data.

You can also bundle in a lot lot more funtionality that remote control
emulation - a TvAnywhere type client and better integration between cable
and OTT content.

Will anyone buy an iPad to do this? Probably not, but if they already have
an iPad, it is a nice incremental at zero cost.

From the MSO side, it is a pretty cheap app to develop as long as you have
some network interface to allow remote control of a STB - IT blasters don't
make sense here.  It doesn't require a new STB or remote control with
keyboard and shifts the cost to the sub.  For the MSO, this is a very low
cost feature that pays for itself in buzz.

Doc