[opendtv] Re: YouTube goes live

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 15:51:29 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> It has always been obvious Bert, and I have mentioned this many times.
>
> Radio is PRIMARILY a mobile service. There is a HUGE installed base of
> mobile radio receiver that work VERY WELL. Radio continues to serve a
> mobile audience, however, they now want a government mandate to put
> digital radio receivers in every mobile device.

And radio can also be received through online streams.

> TV has always been primarily a FIXED service, which at one time, relied
> on spectrum to get signals to fixed locations.

There is also a huge base of TV receivers. Fixed or mobile, it appears that
people are starting to figure out that digital FOTA TV looks very nice. If
that's true, then the reason people are going this way is to be rid of
umbillicals.

And you want to take that away from them, forcing them to stay with umbillicals.

> Broadcasters were warned two decades ago that the future would be
> mobile.

Mobile TV works too. You cannot keep singing the same tune as in 1999, Craig.
Honestly.