[opendtv] Re: Wondering what LG has been up to

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 18:33:38 -0500

Richard Hollandsworth wrote:

> FYI: Here is the Korean website for the ONAIRUSB-HDTV
> Creator below:
> http://www.autumnwave.com/main/index.htm
>
> Also note that you can get the DVICO FusionHDTV5 Gold
> USB for about $100 less. This USB tuner was discussed
> last Nov:
>//www.freelists.org/archives/opendtv/11-2005/msg00528.html

Interesting. Thanks for the pointers. Now this means more to me, since I
have something to compare.

<http://www.tvtechnology.com/dlrf/one.php?id=3D1082>

------------Quoting---------------
New ATSC USB Tuner Includes LG 5G Chip
The tuner includes the new LG/Zenith 5th generation VSB decoder chip.
This is the one that convinced VSB skeptics that 8-VSB might work after
all.
Wallace reported the box is great at pulling in signals. From his
location south of Washington D.C., he was able to pull in Baltimore DTV
stations using a Silver Sensor antenna indoors. Unfortunately, he
experienced problems with the receiver and its software crashing his
computer on certain channels. ... "Can you just imagine the angry people
calling in to the station and sputtering about how 'your TV channel
crashes my computer!!'"
-------------End quote------------

(Funny, I did just that a few days ago! Called a station to tell them
they crashed my STB. Growing pains of digital TV, I guess.)

*This* is precisely the kind of report that should get broadcasters
excited. We live near where this person lives, it seems, and yet with my
indoor antenna, I can only receive one Baltimore station on the Digital
Stream 3150 Plus. If I could reliably get all of them, as I suspected
all along I should be able to, that would be a huge feather in ATSC's
cap. Indoor reception, from 50 miles, at 3.3 b/s/Hz. The technology has
been available since the last quarter of 2004, in quantity production.

To be precise, the Baltimore stations are 46.6 miles away, according to
Antennaweb, from my specific address south of DC. So that should easily
put a lie to all this 30' mast stuff we keep hearing. Not only that, but
analog reception of Baltimore stations, again with the indoor antenna,
is poor enough that you never want to watch them. Way too weak a signal.
I'm saying, more snow than image, for analog indoor reception.