[opendtv] Re: Wheeler Makes It Official: It's Title II for ISPs | Multichannel

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2015 00:34:23 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>> The lack of competition, and the very similar tiers and prices, were
>> evident WAY before then, Craig. ... But at least back then, there
>> were sound technical reasons why things had to be that way.
>
> And there are solid marketing reasons that it has continued for all
> these decades.

We're passed that now. In the past few years, the technical reasons have all
but vanished. When this happens, the marketplace readjusts.

> The fact that extended basic bundles tend to be similar is based
> primarily on the perceived value of each network carried.

Perceived value changes when technology changes, Craig. The perceived value of
the neighborhood blacksmith vanished almost a century ago now. How come?

> The refreshing development with Sling is that the weight of the
> core bundle has been trimmed,

The need to market anything resembling your "the bundle" simply went away.
Doesn't mean other types of bundles aren't still desirable, obviously, because
most people don't want to pay per view or a la carte for everything. But the
need to adhere to that walled garden formula disappeared. And what's more, not
just disappeared, but becomes untenable. You cannot differentiate yourself if
you offer the same as everyone else, in a competitive environment. And you MUST
differentiate yourself.

> Supermarkets offer convenience. You do not need to make stops at
> the butcher, the baker, the produce stand, and the general store.
> Supermarkets are bundles, but you are not forced to buy
> individual products.

It's exactly the same for OTT sites. They too need to offer enough "bundles"
for the convenience of the viewer, but they do not need to conform to that
single formula as MVPD local monopolies did. And they also have to be more
price-conscious than they would have to be, as a local monopoly.

> If you cannot access the Dish DBS service, but have an Internet
> service, then yes, you can get MVPD service via Sling...

No, Craig, don't get obstinate to such a ridiculous degree. If you don't have
access to DBS, because you live in an apartment facing N or E, then you cannot
get MVPD service via a Dish TVE plan. But you can get Sling OTT service, which
is nothing like the MVPD bundles and tiers available on any legacy MVPD or TVE
plan.

> What Dish is doing is EXACTLY what I have been saying.

ROTFL. Give it a rest.