[opendtv] Re: Wheeler Makes It Official: It's Title II for ISPs | Multichannel

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 01:25:17 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Sorry Bert, but you are slicing hairs here. Clearly there are
> still good reasons to offer bundles, whether the service is a
> MVPD or a SVOD provider. What you are arguing about is the size
> and content of the bundles, relative to those that are now
> offered as "the extended basic bundle."

I'm arguing that competition creates a need for variety of offerings (variety
of content bundles and prices), whereas lack of competition pretty much does
the opposite. Big difference there, Craig.

> The walled garden formulae evolved as two oligopolies worked
> together to maximize their profits.

Within the technical constraints of the day. Yes. And the content owners will
continue to work to maximize their profits now, in the new reality of an
unwalled Internet medium. Now the content owners have to compete against one
another, where before it made more sense for them to collude, **when
distributing over the MVPD monopolistic pipe**. (They still competed over OTA,
however, and on their own web sites.)

> First, there is no such thing as a TVE plan - TVE services
> are available to both Dish DBS subscribers and Dish Sling
> subscribers.

See the previous post. Different MVPDs will offer different access to TVE
programs.

> And Sling is exactly like the larger MVPD bundles,

??? You mean, no local broadcast stations and a total of 12 channels is
"exactly like the larger MVPD bundles"? That's novel. You're really outdoing
yourself, Craig, trying to make the case.