[opendtv] USB 3.0

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 15:20:59 -0400

Back in the days when IEEE 1394 and USB were being introduced, I
wondered why USB was even necessary. However, we all know that
technologies fail or succeed for many reasons, among them being a good,
continuous development effort. And just sheer numbers in the
marketplace.

Case in point, USB, about now to come out with the 3.0 standard.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070918-intel-announces-demonstrat
es-usb-3-0.html

thinks that it might push FireWire off the table.

But more importantly, why wouldn't USB push the ever troublesome HDMI
out of the market, and the still-not-here DisplayPort, just as USB
already is doing to MIDI, RS-232, joystick, and other lesser standards?

USB 3.0 supports 4.8 Gb/s. Along with USB's existing structure of
defined device classes, version 3.0 should easily support the
combination of audio and uncompressed HD video. In the TV case, with
something like HDCP layered on top. And it's hot swappable by design, so
none of those HDMI foibles, hopefully. And devices can be daisy chained.

Either USB 3.0, and a UWB or 60 MHz wireless interface carrying USB 3.0,
could very well displace HDMI and DisplayPort, it seems to me. Who would
have thunk it.