[opendtv] NBA Work on Digital Transition

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 13:35:50 -0700

From the Nevada Broadcasters Association Newsletter:

On June 23rd, the Nevada Broadcasters Association convened its fourth
digital TV community town hall meeting at KVBC-TV 3 in Las Vegas.

With strong representation from broadcasters and retail outlets, we were
able to measure our progress so far and chart a course to follow the rest
of the summer.

We learned that each TV station seems to be going above and beyond just
using spots provided by the NAB.  Stations are producing spots with their
own on-air talent and featuring DTV information in their newscasts.  KVBC
was the first in the market and recognized nationally for their "pulling
the plug" segment that aired during each newscast for a full day.  KVBC
anchors alerted viewers to pay attention and watch closely.  If TV
reception was uninterrupted, the TV set is ready for the transition.  If
the screen showed a slate with DTV information and resources, the viewer
needs to take action before February 17, 2009.  KVBC's engineering
department was diligent in following up with viewers that needed additional
help.  We've found that this level of service is the norm amongst Nevada's
television stations.

From this meeting and one held ten days prior in Reno, we’ve decided to
simplify and refresh our messaging.  We will remind viewers that “digital
is here, now”, so there is no reason to wait to enjoy the benefits of
digital TV.  They can immediately start viewing more channels with amazing
clarity and crystal-clear sound.

The next initiative the Association will work on is setting a date for a
statewide TV station conference call, to discuss the possibility of
sponsoring a 30-minute DTV roadblock.

For more information on the Association's DTV activities or to be invited
to future meetings, please contact Adam Sandler at
adam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx