[opendtv] Re: U.S. broadcaster gives thumbs up to mobile TV spec

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 16:09:41 -0800

More funnies!

Only a very few non-commercial broadcasters are members of the NAB, so I
suspect that John's employer isn't one of them.

What he has to lose, of course, is HDTV.  It may be easier for PBS
affiliates to broadcast M/H services alongside HDTV, because they don't show
much action on PBS.  But, one is unlikely to enjoy HDTV of sports at the
same time the station broadcasts much M/H services.

Also, it's important to note that the NAB, and even the ATSC, has nothing to
do with receivers; that's the purview of the CEA.  Where John's employer has
even less pull than they do at the NAB.

I suspect that I know "just a bit more" about what a "small portion of the
bandwidth" needed by M/H (I think the operative term will be MDTV) than does
bert, but there are several constraints that I at least can't talk about
until (if) the candidate standard -- CS/153 -- becomes public.  There is a
bit of overhead to deal with.

I also think it's a bit of a stretch to consider buying a "transitional STB
with MPH capability" since I've only caught a whiff of interest in how fixed
receivers will deal with MDTV.

However, I should also point out a good possible NEED for MDTV capability in
fixed sets: the noise that the nonsense WSDs will cause.  ATSC MDTV has all
sorts of ways to correct transmission errors, and the anticipated error rate
for the transmissions are so low that new BER counters might need to be
developed.  This almost error-free layer has had interesting effects on the
development of various elements.

And, there is no question that in fact, MDTV will have some detrimental
effects on the MPEG-2 transport stream; I think it will come down to a
balancing act, aside from the broadcasters that appear to be dedicated to
single HDTV streams (see: CBS).  The latter just won't do it.

And, as another practical matter, few people will be happy with sub-SDTV
video on their big HDTV sets; I blanche when watching SDTV video on a HDTV
set; it just ain't right.

Don't think too much about "legacy"; MDTV will be more about receivers that
will work in various environments, including but not limited to ATSC MDTV.
I think.

But, then, there will be extensions to ATSC MDTV; the current work is only
on what is called internally "M/H 1.0", and has nothing to do with "ATSC
2.0."

John Willkie