[opendtv] Re: U.S. broadcaster gives thumbs up to mobile TV spec

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 16:12:47 -0500

John Shutt wrote:

>> John Shutt, you guys lobby to get this into standard receivers,
>> and you'll be able to cut power for  maintenance work, or
>> whatever, without having to lose your audience.
>
> No can do. There are way too many legacy receivers in the
> marketplace now, with the combined tuner mandate and the STB
> coupon program.
>
> At this point it wouldn't do us any good at all.

That's true, but you have to start somewhere.

If the MPH streams are simulcasts of a couple of the main streams, and
they are transmitted for mobile users anyway, what exactly do you have
to lose? I'd get the NAB to mount a campaign to get MPH introduced into
all ATSC receivers.

The nice thing is, if you dedicate a small portion of the bandwidth to
the robust service, this wouldn't be detrimental to any of the legacy
receivers. So, nothing lost.

I'd certainly consider buying a transitional STB with MPH capability, if
they were made available (and broadcasters used the service).