[opendtv] Re: Two articles about sticking it to the TV consumer

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 08:03:41 -0400

At 9:59 AM -0500 10/8/09, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
I'll admit, I've often suggested that the congloms should be allowed to own their own nationwide OTA network if they so choose. But I also say that someone else should also be allowed to, and then carry whatever content they can afford on that OTA network. If they can make the business model work, with ad revenues and with lower infrastructure cost than the MVPDs, then I don't see how the congloms can complain.

You mean an OTA MVPD?

Kinda sounds alot like the spectrum utility idea I have floated for years...

No one is forcing the MVPDs to a restricted footprint, are they? Is DirecTV limited to covering no more than 39 percent of the US? Or Comcast? Do they also have local restrictions within each market that further fragment them as nationwide distribution pipes? If it were so limited, just how much would that change your equation about the interest the congloms have in using the MVPDs?

Yes the MVPDs operate with a restricted footprint, at least with respect to retransmission of local broadcast signals. They cannot take the east or west coast feeds of the networks and offer them to any home - they can only offer the local affiliate, unless the home is not served by local broadcast signals. And they must negotiate for carriage with everyone, not just the broadcast networks - the channel line-ups vary from market to market based on these negotiations.

What the congloms do well is to negotiate subscriber fees for their cable networks. ESPN is now north of $4 per month for EVERY extended basic subscriber, whether they watch sports or not.

 They will make substantially more money when they shut down
 transmitters and deal direct with the MVPDs.

That's only true because the rules are unfair. The rules can be changed. Who knows? With this activist FCC and the political incorrectness of forcing "the poor and disenfranchised" on subscription services, anything can happen.

No it is not because the rules are unfair, unless you believe it is unfair for local affiliates to make a profit. The reality is that the local broadcasters get a major chunk of all broadcast TV revenues - nearly half if you include the revenues from local operations of the network O&Os. And the local broadcasters get the retransmission consent fees from the MVPDs. The congloms could capture ALL of this revenue if:

1, they owned a national footprint of broadcast stations;

2. They eliminated all broadcast affiliates and go direct with the MVPDs as they do with MOST of the content they own.

Also, in your response to Dan, you are suggesting that the congloms will price themselves out of the game, and that small scale productions will take their place. I find it truly hard to believe that everyone will be satisfied watching YouTube videos for their staple TV entertainment.

MANY people are not satisfied with the programming offered by the broadcast networks - this is why the ratings are so low and why many of their better shows are moved quickly to cable networks for exploitation.

We are not just talking about the You Tube phenomenon. We are talking about professional producers and good quality talent going direct to the consumer rather than being forced to deal with the gatekeepers. It's all about the ability to make viewers aware of your content; the Internet provides the means for self promotion and distribution, with the viewer playing a major role in getting the viral promotion engine working.

Consider what has happened with the development of small computer applications for Apple's APP store. Anyone with a bit of programming talent can play - no need to build expensive shrink-wrapped boxes of software and deal with retail distribution. The consumers rank the products and create the buzz - or a bump!

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9139163/Bump_app_draws_buzz_at_CTIA

In reality, the gatekeepers limit the production of high quality TV content.