[opendtv] Re: Twang's Tuesday Tribune (Mark's Monday Memo) 2004Ap ril20

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 11:10:57 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> The correct solution is to create a  wireless broadcast
> infrastructure that is open to any content provider. Then let the
> marketplace determine the cost for carriage of those bits.  Exclusive
> franchises (broadcasters) and auctions (telcoms) do not serve the
> public interest...they just inflate the real costs to consumers, and
> in the case of telcos, favor the most lucrative economic
> applications, which are not necessarily the applications that are
> most beneficial to the masses who "own" the spectrum.

Seems to me this makes no difference. If there is a market for the
broadcast of "yellow pages" or of restaurant guides, whoever the
gatekeeper is/are will dedicate spectrum for this sort of content.

Whether the gatekeepers *are* multiple independent broadcasters or
*is* a single, super-regulated, utility makes little difference in
this regard.

I'm skeptical that such services would compete effectively, but
my skepticism will certainly not deter anyone from trying.