[opendtv] Re: Twang's Tuesday Tribune (Mark's Monday Memo) 2004Ap ril20

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 10:03:21 -0400

At 3:53 PM -0700 4/22/04, Eory Frank-p22212 wrote:

>My point was really that DTV broadcasters have no business using
>free spectrum for mobile wireless data or multimedia services, when
>other companies are forced to buy the spectrum to do the same. If
>you want to be in that business, go buy some spectrum and set up a
>3G network. If you are in the TV business, just do your best to
>deliver HDTV and let's get on with it.

I wholeheartedly disagree!

Why must BROADCASTING be defined as being either an audio only
service (i.e. radio) or a lean-back visual service (i.e. TV)?

Seems to me that the ability to broadcast bits to all kinds of
receivers could be useful.

The key here is BROADCASTING. This is much different than a two-way
connection where the intent is to connect two sources of bits to
enable personal communications and personalized, on-demand data
services.

In both cases we, as users, pay for the use of the spectrum. For
broadcasting, we pay for the ads at the checkout counter ( and we pay
again if we view these signals through a multi-channel distribution
service). For wired and wireless telecommunications we pay for
connections, and use of the bandwidth.

Seems to me that there is room for both. Or at least there would be
if broadcasters used their spectrum efficiently. I agree that we
should not give existing broadcasters an expanded franchise.

The correct solution is to create a  wireless broadcast
infrastructure that is open to any content provider. Then let the
marketplace determine the cost for carriage of those bits.  Exclusive
franchises (broadcasters) and auctions (telcoms) do not serve the
public interest...they just inflate the real costs to consumers, and
in the case of telcos, favor the most lucrative economic
applications, which are not necessarily the applications that are
most beneficial to the masses who "own" the spectrum.