[opendtv] Re: Twang's Tuesday Tribune (Mark's Monday Memo) 2004Ap ril20

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 09:38:01 -0400

At 12:10 AM -0700 4/22/04, Eory Frank-p22212 wrote:
>Mark Schubin wrote:
>>Oh, well.
>>
>>The 5th generation is certainly better than the 4th, and Zenith is
>>working on a 6th.
>
>That's the spirit! Eventually we will stop counting generations,
>because eventually there will be an 8-VSB chip that works as well as
>the first generation DVB-T chips, designed back in 1997. On second
>thought, maybe not. Even those first DVB-T chips achieved reliable
>mobile reception at autobahn speeds. It's difficult to imagine even
>Nth generation 8-VSB achieving that.
>
>But that really doesn't matter, because ATSC DTV is all about HDTV,
>watched on big screen fixed displays in living rooms, and many
>consumers (including me) find that very exciting. Who cares if HDTV
>is a cable, satellite and tethered broadcast service? Who cares if
>you can't get it in your car, or on your handheld? Who really needs
>all that resolution on a 7" LCD in the car, or on a 2" LCD on thier
>phone? And what's with all the fuss about indoor antennas? If you
>want to watch HDTV, then just find a way to get a good signal!
>Whether it's by cable, satellite, or rooftop yagi with preamp, or
>whatever. People want to watch TV, and they will find a way to get
>those signals. Nevermind what they're doing in Europe and the rest
>of the world. It doesn't apply here.

Hmmmmm...

I saw a great deal of HDTV displayed on 15-17" portable computer
screens at NAB.

I hope that you were firmly inserting tongue-in-cheek when you said
that ATSC DTV is all about HDTV. It IS, and that is why it is
irrelevant.

As was predicted a decade ago, DTV is rapidly becoming a critical
factor to keep the best customers as subscribers to premium cable and
DBS tiers. ATSC DTV is largely irrelevant to these customers, EXCEPT
for the sporting events that are covered by the major networks.

On the other hand, the opportunity to exploit the DTV spectrum to
serve un-tethered devices is being ignored.