[opendtv] Re: Turner Classic Movies Tees Up Fire TV App | Multichannel

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 09:05:08 -0400

On Sep 16, 2015, at 10:08 PM, Manfredi, Albert E
<albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

The statutory license only applies to the content streamed by OTA
broadcasters. It was created to allow cable systems to carry OTA
content without having to license every show.

Which only made sense in the pre-satellite, linear-streams-only, CATV era, as
a way of getting network TV content to rural communities.

It also made sense when DBS services started to compete with cable.

Mostly, it allowed the CATV net to carry both the conglom's content and the
local TV station's content, all of which was just linear streams because
nothing else was feasible, using a one-stop shop per conglom. Not needed
anymore. The OTT site can deal directly with the sources, just as MVPDs have
to do for everything *except* the local OTA channels.

Uhhhhh Bert.. You nailed it!

The statutory license ONLY applies to local OTA channels. Sony is taking
advantage of the statutory license in the markets where they offer local
stations via Play Station Vue.

And nobody cares. Moonves decided to use the local OTA station's stream,
instead of a more direct feed, for the linear channel. He could have decided
something different. It's entirely HIS decision.

Obviously the broadcast congloms care, for good reason. I covered this in my

BS. CBS All Access can do whatever CBS decides, Craig. Give me a break. You
make it sound like it's all divine providence.

All Access cannot stream the most valuable franchise that CBS offers - the NFL.
Yes they could go direct with the MVPDs, but they would lose important
advantages as I outline in the previous post.

Circling back to square one, Dell and Microsoft did not have to ask for
special permissions from content owners, to stream their content.

Sorry, but this is NOT true. Microsoft agreed to major hardware and software
design limitations to get the content owners to agree to streaming video to
PCs. Dell, and the rest of the PC manufacturers took advantage of this
agreement.

The same was true for the TV manufacturers as we evolved from protected DVI
through several generations of HDMI.

They simply adopted the same standards.

Standards demanded by the content owners.

Just like my LG TV receives ATSC signals, without having to collude with the
broadcasters or congloms.

Really? This was MANDATED by the FCC.

Just like my car can drive on public or toll roads, without GM or Ford having
to collude with anyone.

Please wear your seatbelt.