[opendtv] Re: Turner Classic Movies Tees Up Fire TV App | Multichannel

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 02:08:37 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

The statutory license only applies to the content streamed by OTA
broadcasters. It was created to allow cable systems to carry OTA
content without having to license every show.

Which only made sense in the pre-satellite, linear-streams-only, CATV era, as a
way of getting network TV content to rural communities.

The statutory license allowed cable and later DBS to carry OTA
broadcasters with having to obtain licenses from hundreds of
content owners.

Mostly, it allowed the CATV net to carry both the conglom's content and the
local TV station's content, all of which was just linear streams because
nothing else was feasible, using a one-stop shop per conglom. Not needed
anymore. The OTT site can deal directly with the sources, just as MVPDs have to
do for everything *except* the local OTA channels.

To date, no OTT service has been able to license the live
linear streams directly from the broadcast networks. NONE.

And nobody cares. Moonves decided to use the local OTA station's stream,
instead of a more direct feed, for the linear channel. He could have decided
something different. It's entirely HIS decision.

Even CBS All Access cannot go direct

BS. CBS All Access can do whatever CBS decides, Craig. Give me a break. You
make it sound like it's all divine providence.

It is the content owners who are limiting access and
demanding licensing deals for different story App
platforms...

Circling back to square one, Dell and Microsoft did not have to ask for special
permissions from content owners, to stream their content. They simply adopted
the same standards. Just like my LG TV receives ATSC signals, without having to
collude with the broadcasters or congloms. Just like my car can drive on public
or toll roads, without GM or Ford having to collude with anyone.