[opendtv] Re: Turner Classic Movies Tees Up Fire TV App | Multichannel

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 02:03:54 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

I'm a bit confused...

You agree with Amazon that the FCC should keep its hands off the Internet
as it relates to the MVPD NPRM and the statutory copyright license.

Specifically, you need to be specific about these things Craig, it makes NO
SENSE to introduce middlemen who add no value for the consumer. If Amazon wants
to stream ABC or CBS content, they go to ABC or CBS. And oh wow, they already
do! No need for the FCC to force-fit solutions that applied to CATV in the
pre-satellite era.

But you complain about the deals - you call it collusion - between the
content owners and new Internet services to offer their content via
Apps on devices like Fire TV, Roku, Chromecast and Apple TV.

It's a somewhat similar issue. Once again, it's a problem that should not even
exist. In this case, it's a "solution" that forces the CE vendors to collude
with the content owners, and/or with the ISP net, even after the content owners
have ALREADY decided that their stuff should be on the Internet.

In both cases, stupid problems created for no good reason. Or perhaps, created
because some folk out there are getting money under the table, for offering
nothing of value to the consumer. Does Dell have to go hat in hand, to the TV
content owners or to the ISPs? No. Why? Because the content owners and ISPs
adopted a set of standards for Internet streaming, and Dell thought it wise to
do the same. No need for bedding down with anyone. Just do your job.

Where do you stand on this?

Obviously, I'm against both. I've explained on many occasions. Standards exist
for this reason, and all the devices we're talking about are fully capable of
conforming to said standards.