[opendtv] Re: Tivo vs. MCE

  • From: Kon Wilms <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 13:59:45 -0700

Bob Weaver wrote:
> How can you say MCE is an inferior product?

A Tivo box can directly record the transport stream without re-encoding.
A MCE box has to re-encode analog video. Its really that simple.

>>>No HD support.
>
> Ummm ... I have a growing stack of HD-DVD's.  I put them in the drive and
> play both 720P and 1080P disks.  No muss, no fuss.

That would be HD tuner. HD-DVD isn't exactly widely deployed. Its niche
with hardly any product out there on shelves, and other standards
fighting it. Most people bore after watching step into liquid over and
over again. Hence it is irrelevant.

Also, funnily enough, most existing MCE systems don't support 1080P,
since their CPUs are not even clocked at the minimum 3Ghz and their
video GPU output is not WMV accelerated.

>>>Vendor lock-in (WMV/WMA)
>
> And why shouldn't I use the best? I have almost 2,500 CD's ripped to WMA
> files.  I have $15,000 worth of Genelec speakers in my home theater. And
> where did I save my music on my Tivo? Now, I have a sortable library of
> music available at the touch of a button with nearly flawless audio quality.
>   Of all the things I love about MCE, this is the BEST.

Proprietary codecs aren't vendor lock-in? My comment has nothing to do
with if it is the best or not - that is irrelevant. Interestingly you
define 'best' by your bar of a $35,000 investment in CDs converted to
WMA files -- which doesn't give you any authority to say it is. At best
it gives you a biased opinion, not fact.

Wouldn't best be best defined by a superior codec like APE, maybe FLAC
(both open source I might add)?

>>>Wiring all your cable/sat boxes with IR emitters.
>
> How/why would you do that?  I just programmed the MCE in with my MX-500
> Universal Remote.

Again you missed my point - NO CONDITIONAL ACCESS. Unless you're just
recording analog cable and NTSC OTA, that is. If so, a VHS deck would
have sufficed.

>>>Waiting for XP^H^H whoops M C E to bootup.
>
> Correct, it booted up when I installed it. That was months ago. What's your
> point?

My point was that all you really have is a flashy GUI on an OS that
sells for $80. You can build a cheaper system for less and run BeyondTV
or similar application on it, maybe even have enough cash over to buy a
second system. If you're using MythTV, Freevo or other Linux PVR
software, definitely have enough for two.

>>>Waiting for the emitters to change channels.
>
> MCE channel changing is MUCH faster on MCE that it was on my Tivo

Compare the IBM PowerPC 403GCX at a clock speed of anywhere from 50 to
80Mhz with the 2.xx (maybe 3.0)Ghz Pentium 4 in your MCE. Compare the
$69 Tivo price with the $1000+ MCE price. Add the fact (or not) that you
are changing analog channels, not tuning transponders ala directivo
(which is slower). Do the math.

I should add MCE boxes sell anywhere between $1000 and $6500. The higher
the price the less common sense on the behalf of the purchaser...

>>>Watching overlay operator logo within operator logo within operator logo.
>
> Not sure what you're saying here. I have never seen an operator logo appear
> anywhere.

Since your MCE has no CA it means you have to use a 3rd party STB and
service to get encrypted content ala DirecTV, Dish, etc. When you record
this content and change channels the 3rd party STB's menu display is
overlayed on the video. Your MCE banner is overlayed on top of that. Not
exactly a selling point.

> And let's see. I can also hook my MCE box to my monitor through a DVI
> connector and get a 1920x1080 PROGRESSIVE resolution display. And my Tivo
> was ... S-Video?  Oooh boy, that was a pretty picture.

What does it matter, your MCE can only record NTSC and analog video.
Will your next quote be that a higher resolution on the DVI output
improves the picture quality? With all the visible artifacts it would
probably look better on the S-Video output.

Nice try though - enjoy the MS kool-aid, and I'll enjoy mine!

Cheers
Kon