[opendtv] Re: Tivo vs. MCE

  • From: Kon Wilms <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 16:07:30 -0700

Bob Weaver wrote:
> As far as audio codecs go, I've never found ANY "open sores" codec that
> rivals WMAPro - especially at 192Kbps and above.

APE, FLAC, SHN, and others are lossless encoders, which you're comparing
to WMAPro in lossy encoding mode. So there really is no comparison to be
made.

In the case where WMAPro is used in lossless mode, the only valid
comparison for a shootout would be encoding time, filesize, and cpu
playback usage. APE for example consumes 2/3 the CPU for playback.

Open sores? Is that the brandname of the MS kool-aid?

Cheers
Kon