[opendtv] Re: The surprising genius of Apple's Beats 1 radio | Computerworld

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2015 08:09:42 -0400

On Jul 7, 2015, at 4:54 PM, Manfredi, Albert E <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

The author is using the term in a non-technical way. It's obvious that I am
not.

In this case. But yesterday you did the same non-technical thing in another
post.

Do you want to make a bet on that, Craig? I'll bet you a truckload of dollars
that the very vast majority of those listening to this, or most other
Internet radio, are using unicast and TCP. Surprised?

No Bert. I may be guilty of using the wrong term in this case. I should have
said the service obviously streams over the Internet.

Some streaming radio services like Pandora are using unicasts because the
interactive features require it. I just enabled my free trial of Apple Music,
and it appears that there are some interactive features with Beats 1, which
suggests a unicast. For example, you can build a new customized "station" based
on the song currently playing on Beats 1.
Beats 1 also takes requests, but that feature is not built into the interface -
you must send requests via e-mail.