[opendtv] Re: The surprising genius of Apple's Beats 1 radio | Computerworld

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2015 20:54:48 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

Nothing to fear. More like, embrace.

They are embracing broadcasting?

No. They are embracing, and so am I, new ways of getting radio and TV out
there, which do not involve broadcasting. Because technology has moved ahead.

The author of the article used the term appropriately.

The author is using the term in a non-technical way. It's obvious that I am not.

So, Craig, when you misuse terms like broadcasting, and multicasting, even when
it should be clear that I'm using the strictly technical term, it makes it
sound like you just aren't keeping up with the discussion. How long did it take
you to understand the difference between IP multicast and ATSC multicast,
Craig? How long did you insist it was just "semantics"? Should I go back and
count?

Obviously, the actual implementation of Beats Radio 1 is via IP
Multicast.

Do you want to make a bet on that, Craig? I'll bet you a truckload of dollars
that the very vast majority of those listening to this, or most other Internet
radio, are using unicast and TCP. Surprised?

You have to keep technical discussions technical, or you sound hopelessly
confused.