[opendtv] Re: The old 720p/1080i argument again

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 20:55:27 -0400

 > However, in all these replies, I haven't seen any insistance
 > by any broadcaster that their HD material MUST remain 1080i.
 > Which was the smoke screen layed down in the article that
 > started this thread. If a cable system wants to go to the
 > trouble of recoding 1080i into 720p, at roughly the same bit rate
 > so that image quality doesn't suffer, I don't know that a
 > broadcaster would get up in arms about it.

I can't imagine them getting upset anyway.  That is because I can't
imagine any current stations both doing HD and also needing must-carry
to get their stations on cable.  Any stations negotiating for
retransmission consent can negotiate for how their signal is to be
carried if they really care.  Either way, no one has much cause to complain.

- Tom