[opendtv] Re: The old 720p/1080i argument again

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 15:43:08 -0400

Eory Frank wrote:

> Every MVPD has financial incentives to use his bandwidth
> efficiently. The difference is that cable MSOs -- at least
> those with 750 MHz or higher systems -- have some breathing
> room to add more services, like more HD channels, without
> crushing picture quality in the process. Satellite
> transponders, on the other hand, are squeezed pretty hard already.

Agreed. Also, to make matters that much worse for them, all
multichannel systems deployed an SD-only digital scheme already,
meaning that most of what is broadcast in HD must be simulcast
in SD, to remain backward compatible. So that only adds insult to
injury.

Local into local, for DBS systems, is yet another penalty, for
the multichannel distribution system most strapped for bandwidth.

However, in all these replies, I haven't seen any insistance
by any broadcaster that their HD material MUST remain 1080i.
Which was the smoke screen layed down in the article that
started this thread. If a cable system wants to go to the
trouble of recoding 1080i into 720p, at roughly the same bit rate
so that image quality doesn't suffer, I don't know that a
broadcaster would get up in arms about it.