[opendtv] Re: The Math on Screen sizes

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 23:05:11 -0400

John Willkie wrote:
 > B-U-L-L-S-H-I-T.

... and ...
 > Get real.

John -

I assume from your invective that you disagreed with something I said.

IIRC there are 25.4 mm per inch, so at a .7 mm dot pitch (which seems
large) there would be 36.28 pixels / inch, or 1814 pixels on a 50"
wide screen.  I remember some of my computer displays of old had dot
pitches in the range of .28 or so some time ago.  I assume they would
be much better now.  And of course my 55" Toshiba RPTV does not have a
grill or shadow mask and there is no sense in trying to measure it
like some camera folks do saying it takes 3 pixels of 3 colors to make
one pixel, since they overlap anyway.

And yes, no surprise, I still believe HDTV displays have much more
resolution than NTSC TV sets.  Duh!

- Tom