[opendtv] Re: The Guardian: Cord-cutting: beginning of the end for linear television

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2015 00:36:55 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

I don't think you can demonstrate that Canon was in the film selling
business.

I did not say they were.

Which is why Canon and Kodak cannot credibly be compared.

After the first plane went into the WTC, the New York TV News
helicopters swarmed around the WTC like fireflies.

After the initial event, coverage was largely, or mostly, repeated
retransmissions of the planes hitting. And then ditto with the towers coming
down. In other words, it would have been quite feasible to assemble minute by
minute news updates, at remote servers, using new even "live" material along
with recycled clips, stored at those remote servers. All choreographed
remotely, without requiring that "linear live" stream from the studio over a
one-way broadcast channel.

This was civilian footage. There were **no** camera crews out there
aiming their cameras at the twin towers right when the planes hit,
with live feeds back to the studio?

Wrong. There were no live feeds of the first impact.

Have a problem with the English language, Craig, not to mention simple logic?
Read what I wrote. And then ask yourself, why I would have been making the case
that "live" was even an issue there, after I had doubted that "live" was even
involved in the WTC event?

**The problem** is that the infrastructure for on demand, which
infrastructure CAN ALSO SUPPORT LIVE, is very different from an
infrastructure that will ONLY support live. The live-only
infrastructure is much cheaper. The live or on-demand infrastructure
is much more involved.

So the question is, given that live is only rarely needed if on
demand is an option, just how much emphasis does it make sense to
invest in live-only infrastructure?

That infrastructure already exists.

ATSC 3.0 broadcast already exists?