[opendtv] Re: The Guardian: Cord-cutting: beginning of the end for linear television

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2015 10:14:17 -0400

On Jul 19, 2015, at 8:36 PM, Manfredi, Albert E
<albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Which is why Canon and Kodak cannot credibly be compared.

Wrong. Kodak, Fuji and other producers of film for consumer cameras saw that
market largely evaporate thanks to digital photography. I specifically
mentioned Canon, Sony, Fuji and others who built the digital cameras that
replaced the film based cameras, and that these cameras were largely replaced
by smart phones. This is highly relevant to the analysis.

After the initial event, coverage was largely, or mostly, repeated
retransmissions of the planes hitting. And then ditto with the towers coming
down. In other words, it would have been quite feasible to assemble minute by
minute news updates, at remote servers, using new even "live" material along
with recycled clips, stored at those remote servers. All choreographed
remotely, without requiring that "linear live" stream from the studio over a
one-way broadcast channel.

Whatever.

I watched the live feed from Fox News from moments after the first plane hit
the WTC until all planes were grounded. This included the plane hitting the
Pentagon (no live coverage), and the plane brought down by passengers in
Pennsylvania (again no live coverage).

While you are technically correct that all of this did not require broadcasting
or linear cable, the reality is that most of the country was watching these
sources. Obviously you were not or you would not have challenged the basic
facts.

Have a problem with the English language, Craig, not to mention simple logic?
Read what I wrote. And then ask yourself, why I would have been making the
case that "live" was even an issue there, after I had doubted that "live" was
even involved in the WTC event?

So you could be consistently wrong.

I wrote:

That infrastructure already exists.

ATSC 3.0 broadcast already exists?

No Bert, the entire broadcast network and affiliate station infrastructure
which is currently using ATSC 1.0.

And yes at least some parts of ATSC 3.0 exist - you just posted a TV Technology
story about the OTA tests in Cleveland.

As to whether it makes sense to invest in ATSC 3.0, we will have to wait and
see. The entire broadcast infrastructure, with linear streams et al, could just
move to the Internet.

Clearly that won't happen soon, although many local broadcasters may take the
money and run to the Internet next year.

Broadcasters do not need ATSC 3.0 to do most of the things in the ATSC 3.0
requirements document. Being able to broadcast to tablets and cellphones may be
a significant opportunity, but only if these devices can access those
broadcasts.

That is a big question mark, while it is possible to reach these devices today
via the Internet. As the NYT article Monty posted pointed out, however, local
broadcasters do not have the Internet rights for most of what they carry.