[opendtv] Re: That pesky HDTV niche market

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 19:54:30 -0400

I don't remember any of the details but the last time I checked it
looked like cable HDTV was priced such that it would rapidly gobble up
all the customers they managed to entice to digital cable.  I don't
know if the PVR also requires digital cable but this would provide
another strong draw.

On the down side the price jump from limited basic to digital cable
seems to keep increasing.  I suspect that for political reasons the
cable companies do not want to be seen charging much for HDTV so
instead they are bundling that cost into digital cable.  But the net
effect may end up being that the usually false (but too common)
statement "digital_cable=HDTV" may eventually end up being mostly true.

- Tom