[opendtv] Re: Tech Dirt: Nielsen Finally Realizes That TV Viewers Are

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 21:22:57 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Exactly. If a device cannot support Flash another protocol will be
> used to deliver the h.264 version.

Let me try to be clearer on my response to this.

Flash is ALREADY an "H.264 version." Has been for many years now.

So the comment should be, "If a device cannot support Flash, another protocol
*may* be available at the server, to deliver some other variant of that stream.
If an alternative stream is available and compatible with a player in the
device, then the device will be able to decode the stream."

This "other protocol" offered by server may very well **also** use H.264
compression, JUST LIKE the Flash stream does.