[opendtv] Re: Tech Dirt: Nielsen Finally Realizes That TV Viewers Are

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 20:41:27 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>> I think I'm still not getting through. If the service can offer
>> an alternative, H.264 is again NOT the issue. It's NOT a case of
>> "Flash vs. H.264." The Flash stream was most likely ALREADY using
>> H.264, so the compression algorithm has nothing to do with it
>> (most likely).
>
> If a server has multiple instances of a video (e.g. Flash and
> h.264)

And once again. "H.264" is NOT an example of an alternate stream. An example of
an alternate stream might be QuickTime, Real Media, or Windows Media, but not
"H.264." H.264 is merely the compression algorithm used in creating the payload
of the IP packets generated by any of these options. By itself, "H.264" it DOES
NOT define the stream, Craig.

> Exactly. If a device cannot support Flash another protocol will be
> used to deliver the h.264 version.

Once again. There is no "H.264 version." H.264 is used by Flash and by
Quicktime, and by any player that also supports RTP/RTSP. How is it you think
H.264 defines the streaming protocol, Craig? I think this is the source of a
lot of confusion on your part.