[opendtv] Re: Tech Dirt: Nielsen Finally Realizes That TV Viewers Are

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2013 07:30:44 -0400

On Jun 5, 2013, at 11:38 AM, dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> Craig: There is NOTHING to prevent broadcasters from doing this NOW.
> >
> Bert:  Apparently, the congloms won't let them stream their content.
>
> Craig:  Ahhhhh.  Reality sets in.
>

> Here is an interesting turn of events:  I was trying to watch some
> programming on a You Tube channel using my internet-connected TV (VIA) and
> the You Tube app. built in.  But the clips were disallowed from playing on my
> TV, though they can be played on a computer.  That means that media congloms
> are preventing their media from playing through OTT devices and
> internet-connected TVs even though it is on an "open" distribution outlet (at
> least I always thought that was Google's philosophy).  Perhaps this is no
> surprise, but I think this proves that it is the media conglomerates that are
> hindering there media from getting to TVs by any means other than the MVPD.
> If they could prevent computer web browser from displaying it to a TV, would
> they?  Can they, at least for the HDMI connection?

Dan nailed it.

This is primarily about protecting a business model, not the content.

Remember, most of the focus has been about preventing the ability to capture
and redistribute their content. We have already seen a parade of technologies
to do this based on the broadcast flag ruling - the latest attempt being based
on HDMI. They went after PCs a long time ago, with Microsoft willingly agreeing
to implement content management in PCs; you can watch content on a PC, but it
is nearly impossible to record and redistribute this content.

Of course, you can still point a camera at the screen.