[opendtv] Re: TV is increasingly for old people

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 09:24:26 -0400

Old farts have more time to watch TV. When my father in law moved in with us
the TV was on every waking hour. Nothing new her.

What is new is that the youngest demographics no longer are willing to "see
what's on now." It's WYSIWYW - What You See Is What You Want, a concept I wrote
about in Videography more than two decades ago.

What is important to understand in all of this is that NOTHING HAS CHANGED with
respect to the monetization of entertainment content except for the number of
middlemen willing to get into the game. As Les Monves said in a an article I
just posted:

> In the meantime, CBS is pursuing aggressively the chance to gain revenue for
> the content it produces from a host of players who were not at large only a
> matter of a few years ago. Just a few years ago, he said, “there was no
> Netflix, no Amazon. Retrans was just beginning. The international marketplace
> wasn’t nearly as vibrant as it is today. Looking forward, you look at the
> potential for a Sony” or other operator to get involved in digital
> distribution – “all of whom are going to need our content.” Every time one of
> the new players opens “a new market for their product, we are always part of
> it,” he said.

The Internet is not a threat to pay TV. It is just a "better mousetrap," with
the ability to monetize content in a world that is rapidly moving to WYSIWYW.

As for ESPN, they are entering the "Golden Age of Sports Television." The
ability to watch a live sporting event Anywhere on both fixed and mobile
devices...

For those willing to pay.

At least Bert is now coming around to the notion that the most valuable content
will cost you, no matter how it is distributed.