[opendtv] Re: TV Technology: A New Day Dawning... HDR Delivery

  • From: Jeroen Stessen <jeroen.stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2016 10:50:18 +0200

Hi,

I think that Bert has the clearer understanding of what we (Technicolor + Philips joint HDR) do:
We tone-map from HDR to SDR, this is a compression operation. Now the image is suitable for transportation over an SDR channel and viewing on a legacy SDR display.
A new HDR receiver inverse-tone-maps from SDR to HDR, this is an expansion operation. Now the image must be viewed on an HDR display, with more "wow".
So what we have here is an SDR stream, plus metadata for expanding it back to HDR. The end result is HDR, but in an SDR backward compatible way.
Maybe the confusing part here is that you actually get two products for the price of one. :-)

Best,
-- Jeroen