[opendtv] Re: TV Technology: A New Day Dawning... HDR Delivery

  • From: Jeroen Stessen <jeroen.stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2016 08:06:47 +0200

Howdy,

On 2016-06-11 02:46, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:

Donald Cooleman wrote:

Word from the Technicolor CES analyst briefing was that it works and works well.
In spite of warnings that this doesn't work well.

I am not personally familiar with this particular project from Technicolor. It is a big company with many projects.
There is a number of operations that you can do safely, like increase the gamma a little, boost the bright scenes a little, boost the saturation, etc. This can give attractive results, as long as you don't expect to get the original HDR back. Let's not forget that there is always a big market for up-conversion technology in new receivers, as it helps solve the chicken-and-egg problem. We have seen the same with HDTV ("Digital Reality Creation", "PixelPlus"), widescreen ("SuperWide mode"), 3D (2D to 3D), auto-stereo (2D or 3D to multi-view), wide color gamut (gamut expansion), stereo audio (mono to pseudo-stereo), multi-channel audio (stereo to multi), and now with HDR. Philips TV has had a "superbright mode" for a number of years, enabled by LCD with 2D backlight boosting. These things are inevitable.

On the practical aspects of HDR, I doubt that people will go to great lengths
to darken their TV viewing venues. So this, added to the fact that people
really like bright screens (Mark Schubin reports), will probably mean that HDR
displays will be *really* bright, in the bright parts of the image.

Up to 4000 nit, potentially. Not on large areas, because then many or all HDR displays will go into power limiting. Ultimately it is up to the director and the colorist to decide how high they want to go. We also see HDR content that does not reach the stated peak brightness, because that would not be an improvement. A night scene is still a night scene, with an occasional highlight.

The other thing I wonder is just how much dynamic range compression is done in
TV transmissions, as a matter of course. In audio, it's completely commonplace,
and always has been. So I wonder if HDR to SDR conversion will be markedly
better, for SDR displays, than what we're used to seeing now from TV
programming already now.

Hard to say. The requirement of our conversion being invertible does impose some constraints that "normal" SDR does not have. There is also the limited number of tone mapping parameters versus a 1000-button grading console. Then again, occasionally we've got compliments that our SDR looked better than manually graded SDR. Maybe it does not matter if you have fewer buttons, as long as they are the right buttons. We cannot ignore the wishes of the colorist, what he wants has to be largely possible, and he has to feel comfortable with our tools.

Some of the demoes look quite good, but is this exaggerated?

Clarke's law: "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a rigged demo".
What I mean is that of course demo's are selected to look good. You don't release a solution until you have confidence in it.

I mean, attempts to demo HDR on your typical and ubiquitous SDR displays has to
show SOMETHING cool, right? I'm guessing a lot of these demoes have to
exaggerate the amount of clipping and fading to black of the SDR image.
Otherwise, how would you get any amount of wow looking at the SDR demo?

That is something that cannot apply to us, because our SDR must always be able to convert back into HDR. Hard clipping is not an option. We can attenuate but not lose information on the SDR channel. Every tone mapping function must be carefully chosen. The set is limited but the process is rather intuitive. Our regular grader likes the job. Maybe this is why it looks so good ?

Then again, in the HDR version you can achieve an amount of sparkle and colorfulness that an SDR display simply cannot reach. The perception of sharpness and depth and immersion is greater. Even without a direct comparison with an SDR version you will know that you have always been missing something. HDR is not hard to sell to the viewer. I suppose the hard part is not to disrupt the delivery chain.

I haven't had such an interesting job in years, I feel good about HDR.

Best,
-- Jeroen