[opendtv] Re: TV Programmers Put Subscriber Caps on Skinny Bundles | Media - Advertising Age

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2015 00:24:39 +0000

Craig Birkmaier posted:

http://adage.com/article/media/tv-programmers-put-subscriber-caps-skinny-bundles/297887/

Kind of hilarious, if you think about it. Oh yeah? The new TV content
distributor wants to limit the bundles of our content? We'll make them limit
their bundle of subscribers. Nya nya.

This idea will fall apart for the same reason that channels are migrating
outside the old faithful "the bundle." These schemes fall apart when content
owners of the most valued content say, "Heck with this noise, I'm going to make
MY content available to as many people as I possibly can, no matter what my
competition wants to do."

The demand side gains more power when the supply side no longer has a monopoly.
It's that simple.