[opendtv] Re: TV Programmers Put Subscriber Caps on Skinny Bundles | Media - Advertising Age

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2015 01:39:49 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

These schemes fall apart when content owners of the most valued content
say, "Heck with this noise, I'm going to make MY content available to
as many people as I possibly can, no matter what my competition wants
to do."

It is the owners of the most valued content who are imposing these
"artificial caps." They benefit the most from the status quo

As we have seen already a few times, these owners change their minds when
reality strikes. Leslie Moonves did, for instance. So did Pepler and so did
Skipper.

If the article is correct, and only 100,000 people have signed up
for Sling, it would not appear that there is much pent up demand
for what Dish is offering.

All it takes, to keep these execs on their toes, is a continued steady decline
in MVPD subscriptions, or continued increase in cable shaving. It only needs to
be steady. The FCC recently published video competition report:

http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2015/db0402/FCC-15-41A1.pdf

but it doesn't seem to have any figures newer than what we already discussed.
The trend started in 2013, increased some in 2014, but the FCC report mostly
stops at 2013.

Compare this to Apple selling 74.5 million iPhones last quarter

Oh, I'm so in awe. Let's see, is that global sales? You know what I think about
lemmings and fashion accessories, Craig.