[opendtv] Re: TV Programmers Put Subscriber Caps on Skinny Bundles | Media - Advertising Age

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 00:29:10 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

The Internet works AGAINST attempts to foster oligopolies, Craig.
Whereas walled garden old-school MVPD nets are the perfect
environment for oligopolies.

The Internet has no clue whether a service that uses it is a
monopoly or a highly competitive industry.

I really don't see why these concepts have to be repeated so many times, Craig.
When you have a walled garden distribution network, where there is a natural
gatekeeper who controls all of the content on the net. When customers are only
tied to one such physical network, the customer is at the mercy of that
gatekeeper. Therefore, the sources of content that share that network can make
all manner of colluding agreements. They have a captive audience.

With the Internet, as long as it is neutral, that can't happen. Anyone can set
up a new site any time they want. There is no single gatekeeper, and no way for
all of the content sources to be able to collude.

Just ask Apple, which got prosecuted for monopolistic behavior
when they entered the e-books market, which was dominated
by a monopolist, Amazon.

Not at all the same thing, unless you are beholden to Apple, as you are. I use
all manner of Internet sites. I don't allow any one company to dictate what I
can consume, Craig.

So, back to the CEOs. They will not be able to set caps on OTT site membership
for very long, if/when they see their faithful loyal MVPD subscriptions
continue to fall.

The Internet is just the pipe Bert, and it can easily be used
to support monopolies.

That amounts to banality, Craig.

I can't even fathom what makes you so obtuse about this. It's like arguing with
a politician. Someone who feels obliged to stick with some nonsensical
political platform, even if all the facts are against it. (Like a loyal Soviet
era Komrad.)