[opendtv] Re: TV Guide's new look

  • From: Doug McDonald <mcdonald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 08:56:59 -0500

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:

>Craig Birkmaier wrote:
>

>>Could this be an indication that the way people
>>consume television programming is changing?
>>
>>I don't need TV guide because I have an EPG built
>>into my cable STB, as do more than half of the
>>homes in the United States (i.e. the total of
>>digital cable and DBS subscribers).

I have Dish Network. Its EPG is excruciatingly slow. When I first use it
it always shows "not available" for programs more than 1 hour in the future.
If I scroll over to that time, it usually takes about three minutes to
refresh.
If you think this is acceptable, you are crazy.

And of course it does not have listings for local stations. Some of those
have OTA program guides. Some of those that have OTA program guides
work correctly, some don't.

Then there is TitanTV. This works properly, but still is not exactly
instantaneous
typically
talkes maybe 20 seconds to download the Dish Network program guide on
TitanTV.
The OTA guide is of course instantaneous.

Doug McDonald