[opendtv] Re: TV Guide's new look

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 18:11:04 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Could this be an indication that the way people
> consume television programming is changing?
>
> I don't need TV guide because I have an EPG built
> into my cable STB, as do more than half of the
> homes in the United States (i.e. the total of
> digital cable and DBS subscribers).

Yes, I thought of that. It's possible, although I
would think that if half the TV Guide subscribers
still used the specific channel info, that will be
a lot of subscribers as annoyed (and incredulous)
as I was.

We'll have to see how fast the cancellation
requests come pouring in.

> Local TV listings can be obtained in MANY ways
> today.

I can say without reservation that TV Guide, the
old format, was the easiest source of programming
data to use. I've used the other options over the
years as well, when for some reason I didn't have
TV Guide. And that certainly includes the on-line
sites. They're never quite as clear or useful or
convenient.

> Could it be that we are in the midst of a
> transition in TV from surfing to REAL searching,

We are at the start of a transition, which
hopefully will make these other sources unnecessary.
That has nothing to do with the here and now,
however. I'd say there still is at least as much
demand for complete broadcaster program listings as
there is for another fluff-only magazine. Time will
tell.

Yes, hopefully in the near future, recording
devices will incoporate PSIP or other EPGs in a way
to make all external sources obsolete. And without
having to commit to just one proprietary source
unless you really want to.