[opendtv] Re: Spectrum Repacking Looms for TV Broadcasters

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2010 18:33:29 -0400

John Shutt wrote:

> I don't recall any reduction in ERP proposed.

Well, do ask Mark Aitken, then. Do you really think that you can get something
for nothing?

> I do recall you constantly pounding that
> broadcasters would have to build larger
> transmitters in order to transmit the higher peak
> to average ratio of COFDM vs. VSB for equal ERP.

It probably wasn't me "pounding" that point (I think more likely Doug
McDonald), but it should have given you the clue. How can you build more
powerful transmitters to compensate for the shorter range, without impacting on
interference in other markets? We just finished going through the problem of
reusing frequencies from one market to the next. That's what we're talking
about here. That's why it would have had an impact on planning factors, unless
you opt for ERP reduction.

Sorry, John, but there are no trivially easy answers in any of this. There is
nothing but tradeoffs. Although DVB-T2 would have been an easier choice, IMO.